Sarasota County partially restored this 10 acre site adjacent to historic Midnight Pass. A portion of the site was used as a dredge-spoil disposal area for construction of the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway; subsequently, the site was invaded by exotic Australian Pine and Brazilian Pepper. The Project entailed exotic vegetation removal and restoration of wetlands.
Coastal Tech – GEC:
- mapped and characterized existing conditions on the site;
- assisted the County with outreach with stakeholders;
- provided customary conceptual, preliminary, and final design services for the site restoration including the removal of existing exotic vegetation and spoil material, creation of flushing channels and planting of mangroves and other native vegetation
- obtained SJRWMD and USACE permits; and
- spot-checked exotic removal for compliance with plans, specifications and permits.